Karwa Chauth 2020 Vrat holds great importance in the life of married women. Karva Chauth is observed on ‘Chaturthi’ that is the fourth day of the Krishna Paksha (waning phase of the moon) in the month of Kartik as per the Hindu Calendar. On this day married women observe fast for the longevity of their partners. This Vrat helps in prolonging the life of their partners and also brings happiness in the family.
Karva Chauth Vrat is celebrated as ‘Chhath’ in the Indian states of Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh. The festival of Karva Chauth Vrat also coincides with a one-day festival dedicated to Lord Ganesha, known as ‘Sankashti Chaturthi’.
Karva Chauth Festival Date
This year the Karva Chauth Vrat will be observed on 4th November 2020 (Wednesday).
Karva Chauth Puja Muhurat
Karwa Chauth Puja Muhurat : 17:29 to 18:48
Duration: 1 Hour 17 Minute
Karva Chauth Moonrise Time : 20:16
Significance of Karva Chauth Vrat
All of you may know about Karwa Chauth Vrat and the celebrations associated with it but, have you ever thought about the origin of this festival? The name Karwa Chauth is formed with two words ‘Karwa’ and ‘Chauth’, where Karwa means ‘earthen pot’ used for offering water to the moon that is” Arghya” and Chauth means ‘fourth’.
This day falls on the fourth day of Kartik month in the Hindu calendar. This is also a harvest time of year, where people like to celebrate and meet their friends and relatives. This festival also coincides with the Diwali celebration, which comes nine days after Karwa Chauth. Today, it is observed more as an occasion to seek blessings from almighty for the long life and overall well being of one’s partner.
The occasion of Karva Chauth Vrat marks the beginning of the fasting and the festivity that is experienced during Diwali, the grand Hindu festival that comes after nine days. With so much fun, frolic and extravaganza involved the fasting is not the same as before.
Also Read: Ahoi Ashtami Vrat
Karva Chauth Vrat Story
Karva Chauth Vrat Story
According to the Hindu scriptures, a moneylender had 7 sons and 1 daughter named Karva. On the day of Karva Chauth festival, Karva observed fast. Her brothers couldn’t see the situation of their starving sister who had not even taken a single drop of water since dawn. Her brothers asked her to eat food with them but she denied as she would eat after completing her fast.
The youngest brother planned to trick her by lighting a lamp behind the leaves of a Peepal tree, giving an illusion of the Moon and convinced his sister that the Moon has come and now she can have food.
She got tricked and had a bite of food. As soon as she took a bite, the news of her husband’s illness came. Her eldest Bhabhi explained that because of not completing the fast, Goddess had punished her husband.
She asked Karwa to keep Chauth Vrat of every month ,then She started Vrat and took out the needles from her husband’s body throughout the year.After one year, kept the Karwa Chauth next with all rituals and worshipped Goddess Parvati ,Lord Ganesha and full family of Lord Shiva with all faith and devotion.Goddess Parvati blessed her husband and they lived happily.
Karva Chauth Vrat Puja Vidhi
- Wake up early in the morning, before sunrise and take a bath, wear new clothes, bangles, do Sringaar.
- Then worship God, eat food given by mother in law and take the vow of keeping the fast without taking water because during the fast one cannot take anything not even a drop of water.
- In the evening, place pictures of god and goddesses on an earthen platform.
- Now, take a plate of dhoop (incense sticks), Desi ghee diya, Sindoor (vermillion), Bayana (gifts and dry fruits for mother in law)and small water kalash.
- The puja should begin before Sunset .
- Recite the Karva Chauth story, while worshiping the goddess.
- After the moon rises, worship the moon with water, diya and sweets then the wife should see the face of her husband and break her fast after having water from him. Then the daughter-in-law should take the blessings of her mother-in-law after offering her Bayana that is decorated plate with sweets, fruits, dried fruits, money, etc and blesses her with the boon of everlasting Mangalaya (sada suhagin).
With this, FUTURE PREDICTION TODAY hope that you will make the best of the Karva Chauth Vrat. May every worshiper get the blessings of Maa Parvati!